Associate Program Officer, NYC Regional Grants
The Associate Program Officer (APO) will work with the New York City Regional Grants Program Officer in developing and managing a grants program of about $5 million annually for the New York City Regional Grants Program. The APO will engage in substantive programmatic support to the portfolio through the following: research and recommend potential new initiatives; review and respond to proposals; conduct due diligence on potential grants; manage and write grant recommendations; and monitor the progress of existing grantees. The APO will serve as a point of contact for applicants and grantees. The APO will also help manage administrative components of the grant making process, including tracking program budgets and periodically reconciling them with parallel systems; ensuring accurate payment and accounting of grants; helping to plan and execute complex program-related meetings; maintaining positive and proactive communication with grantees; and working closely with Helmsley’s Grants Management department.
- Assist with grants process, which includes working with applicants to prepare proposals and project budgets as well as ensuring timely and effective grants management processes;
- Respond to inquiries from a wide range of constituencies, handling correspondence;
- Research selected areas of program interest;
- Assist in the planning and execution of complex initiatives and events;
- Meet with members of the foundation and nonprofit community about prospective projects and other philanthropic issues;
- Represent Helmsley at conferences and site visits;
- Collaborate with colleagues in cooperative approaches to grant making;
- Assist with the development of outcomes, metrics, and systems for collecting data and measuring the impact of the grants portfolios; and
- Administrative responsibilities related to the above and to other areas as needed.
- Undergraduate degree or higher required.Facility and experience working with data, budgets, and other quantitative information essential;
- Background in either NYC government or NYC nonprofit environments and foundation sectors preferred;
- Experience and interest in research, evaluation, and strategic planning preferred;
- Must be organized and have strong interpersonal and communication skills.Attention to detail a must;
- Must demonstrate exceptional capacity in written and oral presentation;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative; to prioritize and accurately complete multiple tasks; and to work under deadlines;
- Experience and inclination to work in a team-oriented environment;
- Able to maintain confidentiality of information; and
- A strong team player with a diplomatic, professional manner.
The position is based at Helmsley’s main office in New York City. Send resume (in Word or PDF format) and cover letter to email@example.com. Include “Associate Program Officer – NYC” in the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Since beginning active grantmaking in 2008, Helmsley has committed more than $1.5 billion for a wide range of charitable purposes. Learn more about Helmsley at www.helmsleytrust.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.