The Communications Associate will have the opportunity to help support the growing communications function of one of the newest and largest philanthropic institutions in the country. The Communications Associate will work alongside another Communications Associate to oversee the maintenance of Helmsley’s website and day-to-day social media activity. S/he will report to the Communications Officer and will work closely with Helmsley programs and Helmsley grantees to support their press, marketing, and public affairs needs.
The position requires a proactive, driven and detail-oriented team player who possesses excellent writing skills and social media knowledge. Communications Associates play a key role in helping to advance the foundation’s work and leadership, and must bring proven abilities to work across a variety of fields and think strategically about a wide range of program and communications issues.
- Day-to-day maintenance and generation of content for the Helmsley website, including news items, publications, events, speaking engagements and updates to staff biographies;
- Co-manage the Helmsley Twitter feed and post approved content;
- Assist with communications calendar management;
- Support the communications needs of 3-4 Helmsley grantmaking programs and stay abreast of major developments in each program’s sector to ensure Helmsley is appropriately active and represented;
- Work with senior program staff and grantees to compose case studies and narrative stories for marketing purposes;
- Draft and edit press releases, messaging documents and other media-focused materials;
- Track Helmsley media hits and circulate internal updates of notable press mentions;
- Monitor analytics for Twitter and website activity in order to provide data-driven feedback and recommendations;
- Identify opportunities for Helmsley web and social media presences to develop new content and expand readership;
- Assist in general brand management to help create Helmsley materials according to brand standards, and document internal procedures and guidelines for staff to follow; and
- Provide general marketing support as well as occasional support for internal communications programming.
EXPERIENCE AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field;
- Three years of experience in a communications role – preferably within a foundation or nonprofit – with experience in communications planning and strategy, message development and media relations;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Deep knowledge of and experience with social media platforms;
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative mindset;
- Ability to work independently with strong project management skills;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Experience pitching journalists; and
- Experience with CMS and web publishing tools – HTML knowledge a plus.
Send resume (in Word or PDF format) with salary history and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Associate” in the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Since beginning active grantmaking in 2008, Helmsley has committed more than $1.5 billion for a wide range of charitable purposes. Learn more about Helmsley at www.helmsleytrust.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.