Automated Insulin Delivery Initiative
Over the past decade, advances in medical device technology have had significant impact on monitoring, management and treatment of type 1 diabetes (T1D). However, data from the T1D Exchange demonstrates that T1D is still not a safe or well-managed disease, despite using today’s tools. Thus, the goal of the Automated Insulin Delivery Initiative (AIDI) of The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (HCT) Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) Program is to accelerate the development and regulatory approval of automated insulin delivery systems to improve the management and care of T1D.
Since 2009, HCT has made major investments in research, technology, systems and outreach, with a goal of improving the lives of people living with T1D. HCT has been actively funding advances in technologies that decrease the burden and improve outcomes for people living with the disease. With the AIDI funding opportunity, HCT seeks projects that advance the automated delivery of insulin to manage glycemic variability of people with T1D. This includes, but is not limited, to: fully external systems, fully implanted systems, mixed external and implanted systems, and handheld controller, software & connectivity driven system approaches which will contribute to greater efficacy in treatment.
There are four broad areas of interest for this funding opportunity:
- Fully External Systems
- Fully Implanted Systems
- Mixed External and Implanted Systems
- Handheld Controller, Software & Connectivity
|Funding Opportunity Release Date||December 2, 2013|
|LOI Submission Deadline||January 15, 2014|
|Full Proposal Submission Deadline (if selected*)||March 1, 2014|
|Anticipated Commencement of Selected Programs||May 2014|
For more information and specifics regarding applying, which requires a two-step process, please go to:
- Click here for the AIDI Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Click here for the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Click here for the AIDI for-profit grant terms overview
- Click here for the general Helmsley Charitable Trust non-profit grant terms overview
To begin your LOI application, please click on the appropriate link below per the tax status of your organization:
- Click here to access the US 501(c)3 non-profit LOI application
- Click here to access the US for-profit LOI application
- Click here to access the international LOI application**
- Click here for the LOI budget template, to be submitted with the LOI as an attachment (save the excel document to your desktop and upload with your LOI).
To return to a saved application already in progress, please click here.
* Upon review of your completed LOI, eligible grantees will be invited to submit a Full Proposal.
** Applicant organizations incorporated outside of the United States are required to complete the international LOI application in order for the Trust to determine if the organization is equivalent to a US-based public charity. If an international applicant fails to meet equivalency determination, expenditure responsibility rules governing grants to for-profit organizations will be followed throughout the remainder of the application process.
If you have any questions please refer to the frequently asked questions link above prior to emailing the Trust at T1DTechnology@helmsleytrust.org. For technical assistance with the online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone calls will not be accepted.