Helmsley strives to protect the transmission and storage of any information submitted by visitors to the Website. But no transmission and storage of data is completely secure, and submissions are at your sole risk.
What Information We Collect
As a general matter, you can browse the Website without being required to provide your name, email address, and other similar personal information. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with this information, including as follows:
- When you register for an account via the Website, including, for example, in relation to your grant application;
- When you sign up to receive e-mail newsletters from us;
- When you participate in surveys, panels, or research;
- When you register for and participate in our programs, activities, initiatives, and events;
- When you request information or assistance;
- In conjunction with processing your grant applications;
- In conjunction with your employment inquiries or applications;
- When you participate with Helmsley’s social media accounts;
- In conjunction with any verification of your account information;
- In conjunction with investigations into any activity that may violate the law or the Website’s terms and conditions;
- When you communicate with us through the Website;
- When you provide user-generated content on any part of the Website that permits it; and
- In conjunction with any other place on the Website where you knowingly volunteer personal information.
When you interact with any Helmsley page or account on a social media platform, such as Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Vimeo, we may also collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or through that account, including your account ID or “handle.”
In addition, when you interact with the Website, our servers may keep an activity log that we do not use to identify you individually. This may include the following:
- Certain device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Website. This information may include device type, IP address, browser type, and other transactional information;
- Usage information about visitors’ use of the Website, including a reading history of pages viewed;
- “Traffic data,” such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, IP address, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses; and
- Search terms and search results.
We also collect and store certain other information regarding our users’ use of the Website so that third parties may provide us with reports and analysis regarding usage and browsing patterns of the Website.
How We Combine Your Information
We may combine information gathered from the Website and information that we have received, gathered, acquired, or stored from other sources, both information collected offline by Helmsley and information received from third parties to further understand the use of our Website and update our files – including information that currently exists in our files.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information we learn from you to help us continually improve your experience on the Website, including in the following ways:
- For editorial purposes;
- Responding to your inquiries;
- Communicating with you about your account or transactions with us and sending you information about Helmsley;
- Communicating with you about changes to our policies;
- Sending you newsletters, mailings, and information about programs, initiatives, activities, and events by e-mail or another medium;
- Processing your grant application or employment application;
- Event or program registration;
- Optimizing or improving our programs, services, and operations;
- Research and development;
- Verifying your account and account activities;
- Detecting, investigating, and preventing activities that may violate our policies or be illegal;
- Performing statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Website and their usage patterns; and
- Managing our organization
How We Share Your Information
Except as disclosed below, we don’t sell, rent, or otherwise permit anyone outside Helmsley to use or access your personal information except as described below, and in all cases we only share your personal information where it is in the legitimate interest of furthering Helmsley’s philanthropic aims.
We occasionally use independent contractors and third-party agents, affiliates, and partners to perform functions such as marketing, analytics, providing customer service, etc., on our behalf. These entities have access to the personal information needed to perform their functions and are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of any personal information collected from the Website. They are restricted from using, selling, distributing, or altering this data in any way other than to provide the requested services to Helmsley.
We may also use or disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the Website; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the Website, or our users; and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, our agents, or the users of the Website or the public.
Like some websites, we may use web beacons. A web beacon (also known as an “action tag” “tracer tag,” or “single-pixel GIF”) is an invisible graphic on a web page or e-mail newsletter that is programmed to collect non-personally identifiable information about your use of a given website or newsletter, e.g., whether you opened the e-mail. Like cookies, web beacons allow Helmsley and its technology providers to summarize overall usage patterns for our analysis and to assist us improving the Website. We do not share or provide personally identifiable information we may collect through such web beacons, such as names or e-mail addresses, without your express permission.
We will use reasonable efforts to securely process personal information, in particular in relation to the following requests:
- Access to your personal information;
- Correction of the personal information that we hold;
- Deletion of your personal information;
- A restriction of processing your personal information;
- Transfer of your personal information to another party;
- Objection to processing of your personal information based on Helmsley’s legitimate interest (or that of a third party) to use it and there is something about your particular situation that causes you to object to such processing.
We retain your personal data for as long as is necessary for our legitimate interests, in accordance with our retention policies and applicable laws.
Questions and comments should be directed to email@example.com.
If you have any questions or requests regarding this policy, if you would like to change your preferences, if you no longer wish to receive e-mail updates from Helmsley, or if you believe Helmsley has erroneous or incomplete information about you, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2018 The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust. All rights reserved.